Sunday, June 10, 2012

Micronauts!!!

Micronauts. That's what this post is about.  If you're not familiar then you may want to spend some time on the link back there.  Or this one Mego Micronauts.  Of course, you might not care, which is completely beyond my understanding, but we all have our hangups  I suppose.


So recently Coco and a friend were playing in my room while I was wasting skads of time on the Internet busy working at my desk.  They were exploring my Top Shelf Items.

  • Simpsons toys from fast food restaurants
  • Vintage McDonalds mini-racers
  • Captain America puzzle
  • Ralph Malph
  • Lucha Libre Wrestler collections
  • Micronauts Pharoid
  • GI Joe
They were fascinated by the Micronauts.  Rightly so.  So they asked about them, and I proceeded to tell them all about these little guys and how much time I spent playing with them when I was their age. They were hanging on every word of my story demanding to know more about them, so I Googled it and found the sites above, as well as this one - More Micronauts

I spent almost an hour pouring over these sites and looking at all the toys that I had as a kid remembering how much time I spent playing with these little guys.  I think I've mentioned before how I may have been spoiled with the amount of toys I had as a kid, but none of them ever went to waste. I PLAYED all the time with my toys. Probably much longer than I should have. (hello 12 year old Thomas playing with action figures).  I don't know how I managed to end up with so many different sets, but I suspect that they were not as popular with most kids and that my mom got them at the JC Penny Outlet Store. I don't care. It was awesome, and they kept me entertained and happy for years.


Anyhoo, about 8 years ago I sold 99% of these things to former students of mine.  Students that were of a similar mindset to me at that age.  I did not want these beloved toys going to Goodwill to sit there, neglected, or picked up by a collector who wouldn't play with them.  



It was great. Showing the kids which parts went together, and how you could interchange so many of them. It made me really happy to know that they were going to get a new life.  Just like Woody & Buzz did at the end of Toy Story 3 - 




That's good stuff right there.  


Here are some pics of the ones that I kept.


The Evil Antron
Membros
Antron and Membros have glow in the dark brains!

Pharoid. It's a case that hold the Micronauts.

This is the one that I have left. He's a Space Glider

The chrome coating has faded off a little bit of his gliding wings.

I always thought that this guy looked like Parker Stevenson from The Hardy Boys TV show








2 comments:

angel said...

I have never seen these in my life.

YerLifeguard said...

They were in one of the big boxes my dad brought over after they moved out of Pangborn House. The ones I have left are on the shelf above my desk.